Sunday, October 14, 2012

How to win battle vs. obesity or being overweight and achieve beauty, model & actress Iza Calzado shares her health & beauty tips




Beauty comes from a healthy lifestyle...



Obesity can be overcome, according to Iza Calzado...




I'd like to share my July 8, 2012 Philippine Star newspaper column on one of the most beautiful actresses of the Philippines here in tropical Southeast Asia. She is part Irish-Spanish in heritage due to her mother Mary Ann Ussher.

More than just her beauty and voluptuous physique, Iza is smart and also talented in acting. She is also one of the humblest stars in Philippine entertainment I have ever met, down-to-earth and funny too!

What I find most interesting and inspiring about her was her past struggles with obesity or her once being overweight. We---men and women of all ages---can learn from her. Here's my Philippine Star column...



Iza Calzado on broken hearts, losing weight, sexiest stars & Dolphy

WILL SOON FLOURISH column by Wilson Lee Flores  in the Philippine Star newspaper

July 8, 2012 


Photo is loading...
Iza Calzado: “Losing weight is not impossible. It starts from a decision to instill discipline into your life.”

If you love someone, set them free. If they come back they’re yours; if they don’t they never were.  — Richard Bach

Actress Iza Calzado on July 9 co-stars with Jake Cuenca, Andi Eigenmann and others in the new ABS-CBN 2 TV drama series Kahit Puso’y Masugatan directed by Wenn Deramas. Born Maria Izadora, she was named after the US dancer Isadora Duncan by her late choreographer/TV director father Lito Calzado. Her mom was Irish-Spanish-Filipina mestiza Mary Ann Ussher. She is also on the cover of the fifth anniversary issue of Rogue magazine, which tycoon IƱigo Zobel once told me he bought as “a gift” for his wife Maria Cristina Cardenas Zobel. 

Iza gave Philippine STAR an exclusive interview over lunch. Here are excerpts:

PHILIPPINE STAR: Aside from this new teleserye you have with Jake Cuenca, I heard ABS-CBN 2 is asking you to host the reality TV show The Biggest Loser. When is this for?

IZA CALZADO: Yes, that’s true, they said this year.

You have a voluptuous figure, is it true you were once obese? How much do you weigh now?

Yes, I was once 220 pounds, but I’m currently 130 pounds.

How old were you when you weighed that much? When did you start to lose weight?

I was 15 years old when I was 220 pounds, I lost weight when I was 16.

What is your advice to people who are struggling to lose excess weight?

Losing weight is not impossible. It starts from a decision to instill discipline into your life and to embrace the lifestyle change.


How do you maintain your figure?

Regular exercise and eating moderately are important parts of my lifestyle. I love running. On eating, I lessen carb-rich foods and I indulge only in sweets once a week.

Your response to some who say it’s just so difficult to lose weight?

They just have to do it. It’s a decision you make and a commitment you make.



Who do you consider the three sexiest male stars in local showbiz?

Wala (none)! (laughs)

What about the sexiest female stars?

Iya Villania, Vina Morales… I can’t think of another one, I owe you one more name.

Tom Cruise is now being divorced by his wife Katie Holmes. It’s his third divorce and his three ex-wives are all actresses. Do you think showbiz marriages are more prone to breakups? Why or why not?

To begin with, relationships are already tough enough, and when it’s in the world of showbiz, it is even more difficult to sustain. I guess, it’s because of the nature of the industry; it’s a public life, so there’s ego, the press…the problems are heightened.

There are also more temptations in showbiz?

Yes, definitely! (Laughs)

So do you prefer a future boyfriend or husband outside showbiz?

I prefer someone not from the industry, but I’m open to whoever God or the universe has in store or planned out for me.

Any advice for the now single Tom Cruise?

No opinions, hindi naman kami friends, pa-involve lang. Pero kami ni Katie Holmes, friends lang (we’re not friends, just getting involved. But Katie Holmes and I, we’re friends) (laughs).
With Jake Cuenca

Is it true your late dad Lito Calzado was a friend of the now ailing “Comedy King” Dolphy?

Dolphy was a good friend of my late father, because he did a lot of choreography work for him before. My dad always said that Dolphy is so generous, that he is very professional, and he likes to do excellent work. Dolphy is very highly respected.

Are you anxious about your first leading role in a TV drama series on ABS-CBN 2?

It’s been a year since I’ve starred in a TV series and a year after I transferred to ABS-CBN 2. Actually, honestly, the feeling of excitement overwhelms me more than any worries or anxieties. I also enjoy the happy company of my co-stars Jake, Andi, and others. Jacklyn Jose is a fine actress who plays the role of my mother here and I’m happy because she coincidentally also once played my mother too in my very first teleserye role before. Director Wenn Deramas and his team are also great to work with.

Are you out to prove something with this new TV project?

I always like new challenges. There’s something in me that looks forward to new challenges. I want to do well in my acting to prove to my late parents that I can still be a better actress and a better person too. Maybe I should rephrase that, instead of saying I want “to prove something,” let’s just say I hope that my late parents could be more proud of their daughter… Whatever hard work and efforts I put into my profession, it’s not so much just to prove to others, but it is ultimately to prove to myself that I can be better. All of us should strive to always be better.

Your opinions on showbiz stars getting into politics? You’re a bright actress, maybe you’ll enter politics too someday?

Akala ko bright, yung nakakasilaw (I thought bright as in dazzling)! (Laughs)!
Seriously, if there are showbiz stars who sincerely think they can serve the people through politics, it’s up to them, it’s their decision… Like in the case of Lucy Torres Gomez, getting into politics was not her decision, this was not her dream, it was just her destiny. As long as the showbiz people have sincere intentions, if they’re really trying to make the situation of the country better or do good in areas they have power over, then it’s okay to be in politics.

President Noynoy Aquino is soon delivering his annual State of the Nation Address (SONA), how do you assess the state of the nation?

Naku, I don’t know. I don’t keep track of the headlines… Not that I don’t know what’s happening, I have my own observations, but I prefer not to comment. In life I have some wisdom to share, but naku huwag lang math, baka puso ko ay masugatan (but, oh my, not anything on math, or else I’d be heartbroken).


Speaking of the President, I heard news before that he or someone else was trying to request a date for him with you during your GMA 7 days?

Tapos na rin ‘yon, nakakahiya kay President pag-usapan iyon (That’s the past, it’s embarrassing to the President to discuss that).

What about dating separated Senator Chiz Escudero, who has had two dinners with Heart Evangelista and who also told Kris Aquino his biggest showbiz crush is Anne Curtis?

Wow… there are no dates with a senator.

Your new TV drama series has the title Kahit Puso’y Masugatan or even if the heart is broken or bruised. How do you react when your heart is broken?

Iiyak lang ako (I would cry), that’s the first thing I’d do.

Jake Cuenca said that every person should experience a nasugatang puso or a broken heart at least once in his life so that one’s character can become stronger. Do you agree?

Yes, I agree with Jake. I’m excited to work with him in this new TV project.

You broke up with your businessman boyfriend. How does a person ideally cope with and ultimately recover from a broken heart?

One year has already passed since. If one’s heart is broken or hurt — by the way this doesn’t only apply to romantic relationships but also to other aspects of life like in our careers — one can recover as long as you keep the faith. Keep the faith in God, in yourself, and keep the faith that tomorrow will be a better day.
* * *
Thanks for all your letters! E-mail willsoonflourish@gmail.com or follow WilsonLeeFlores on Twitter.com, or "like" my page in Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Wilson-Lee-Flores/122467601116985?ref=ts&fref=ts

No comments:

Post a Comment